RESEARCH CENTER "ALTAITANU"
Socio-economic and socio-political transformation of post-Soviet space and determination of processes of international integration and globalization at the turn of XX-XXI centuries on the one hand; the events of recent years, ambiguous interpretation of the historical and political facts of the past, the aggravation of international relations and the global crisis on the other hand, along with the issues of study and preservation of historical and cultural heritage led to the need of scientific understanding and studying of ethno-cultural and ethno-political processes occurring in Eastern Kazakhstan and trans-boundary territory. Taking into consideration the uniqueness and border state of the Eastern region at the intersection of four states - Kazakhstan, Russia, China, Mongolia, Research Center "Altaytanu" was established under Order №290-p dated September 24, 2013 of the rector of S.Amanzholov EKSU.
Research development of topical theoretical and methodological problems of social and human sciences and their applications at the crossroads of interdisciplinary connections on trans-boundary territory of the East-Kazakhstan region and Greater Altai.
Research: provides integrated interdisciplinary research in the fields of history, ethnology, ethnography, social anthropology, ethno-psychology, ethno-pedagogy, culture, literature, linguistics, Turkic studies, geography, ecology and economy. Special attention in the research practice is paid to the study and preservation of historical and cultural heritage.
Research work of the Centre is carried out in close cooperation with Ch.Valikhanov Institute of History and Ethnology, Almaty; Altai State University; Altai State Pedagogical Academy, Center for Oral History, Barnaul; History Institute of the SB RAS, Novosibirsk; Gorno-Altai State University, Altai Republic; Centre for Scientific-technical and Economic Information of the PRC Central Asia; Mongolian State University; Akimat of Bayan-Ulgii aimag; State Archives of the East-Kazakhstan Region; Shakarim Semipalatinsk State University; Torajgyrov Pavlodar State University; scientific and educational institutions of the region.
Public education: is implemented through a structural unit of the Center, EKSU Museum and in cooperation with the State Archives of the East-Kazakhstan region, where the main forms of work are topical exhibitions, expositions, consultations, lectures and excursions.
Education: the Centre is the base for the faculties and departments to organize teaching work and training practices for students of social direction and humanities.
- Develop fundamental and applied research on the study and forecasting of socio-economic, socio-political, ethnic and cultural processes of the past, present and future on the cross-border territories of East Kazakhstan;
- Identify and develop promising directions on interregional scientific cooperation in the area of Greater Altai;
- Development and strengthening of inter-territorial contacts on conservation of historical and cultural heritage and natural heritage of the Altai region;
- Expanding and strengthening mutual contacts with representatives of trans-boundary states and nationalities of Greater Altai;
- Development and expansion of intercollegiate scientific contacts with educational institutions in Greater Altai.
- Regional history: actual problems of the historical development of East Kazakhstan and adjacent territories, methodology and methods of local history, regional historiography, source studies, and critical reassessment and interpretation of historical events of the past, evaluation and interpretation of recent history in the format of change of the research paradigm, historical comparative science of regional research practice, the role and place of the region in the history of Kazakhstan, in the historical processes of cross-border states.
- Archaeological research: identification and study of archaeological sites of the Greater Altai zone, archaeological activities, the study of ethnic and cultural problems, ethno-genetic processes of antiquity, the Middle Ages; cultural and ethnic attribution of inhabitants of Greater Altai, material culture, socio-economic structure, social and political attitudes, religious beliefs, funeral rites, ritual complexes, rock paintings; interaction and mutual influence of the Terek Greater Altai tribes; the conservation of monuments and their museumification.
- Ethnographic, ethnological, ethno-cultural research: state and prospects of scientific research, integration of academic and university research, organization of centers of oral history and everyday life, growth of the national-cultural movement; ethno-genesis of the peoples of Greater Altai, ethnic and cultural genesis of modern Turkic peoples of Altai, traditional culture and livelihood; ethno-psychological aspects of mental behavior of nations, tolerance and inter-ethnic dialogue, preservation and promotion of ethnic and cultural heritage of the peoples of Altai, intercultural communication and interethnic interaction, modern ethno-cultural situation in the border areas of Altai; ethno-social and ethnic religious processes; development of museum ethnography, popularization of ethnographic collections, arts and crafts of peoples of Greater Altai, continuity and transformation of ethnic traditions; culture and cultural space of Altai, intercultural dialogue.
- Sociolinguistic studies, linguistics, lexicography, languages of the peoples of Altai, the structure and functioning of the national language, its status and functions, language building and language policy in cross-border regions of Altai, the problems and issues of preserving the national languages of Altai; bilingualism and linguistic interaction in Greater Altai, multinational character of Greater Altai; dialects and borrowings, lexicography of Altai onomastics and toponymy; sacral lexicography of the Altaic peoples.
- Folklore and literature of the peoples of Greater Altai: myths and legends, heroics and poetics, aesthetics, morality and patriotism, archaic stories; historical-typological, cultural and genetic relationships of oral poetry of the Altaic peoples; ancient Turkic writing and literary monuments, fabulous and realistic forms of the Altaic literature; problems of preservation and popularization of national folklore of Greater Altai, collection and recording of folklore, traditional folklore of the peoples of Altai, sacralization of the Greater Altai literary genres.
- Historical, geographical and environmental studies of Greater Altai: historical geography of Altai: source studies, historiography, historical and geographical imageries of states, cities, borders of Greater Altai; historical place names of the region; GIS technology in historical geography; landscape-climatic zones of Altai, issues of ecology and environment protection, conservation of biodiversity of Altai; natural-resource potential of the region; environmental policy of cross-border states, environmental security of the region.
- Socio-economic and socio-political studies: the socio-economic form of relationships and interactions of cross-border states of Greater Altai, economic strategy and integration at the level of macro and micro-contacts, efficient use of natural resources, geo-economic potential, strategic project of renewable energy, trend of "green economy" of Altai: problems and prospects; development strategy of inter-territorial cooperation, scientific and educational contacts, international youth cooperation "Our Common Home Altai"; recreational potential of Altai, Altai nature reserves and the development of tourism, the development of cross-border tourist routes; problems of migration, demography, social policy.
East Kazakhstan State University